Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Life in Pastel

Soft Pastels on Gray Tinted Paper
15"x22"
It started out as a black and white charcoal sketch on a gray paper....First I put charcoal in dark areas but when I tried putting highlights in white, she looked like a ghost!Hastily I took out my box of pastels to rescue her and after an hour or so covered her in color!At least she looked presentable :) What do you think?
I have used a painterly approach this time, almost like an oil painting.
I would call this my maiden attempt at portrait in soft pastels...still getting to know them!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Are they? You must be kidding!Thank you so much, Liz.

      Delete
  2. This looks great. You handled the pastels wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tony.Now I have to find the right paper for them...

      Delete
  3. I think she is gorgeous, Arti. You must be a true people lover as you always bring forth the beauty in every face. I like the pastels. You are a master of all mediums, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are sooo right,Sherry...I love people and I love painting them:-)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely fantastic! Ciao Arti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful, Arti! You rescued her perfectly!! Your work with pastels is just as wonderful as your work with watercolors...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda...I am just trying.It will take time to tame this medium.

      Delete
  6. Hello Arti:) I love this portrait. You did a wonderful job. The colors are beautiful. Great art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great work arti . I could feel her face. unbelievable to think its a rescued work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanda, sometimes results don't tell the real story behind the work:-)

      Delete