Thursday, June 14, 2012

Manu _ Revisited

I have been into 'experiment mode' lately.Usually I like my watercolors to be quick and spontaneous, but I was wondering if I was missing something. May be working more patiently and with layers would produce better results? So I gave it a try.Susan Harrison does realistic watercolors and she suggests a method that involves working in sections and 'priming' the paper every time."Priming' here means giving a double wash of clear water everytime you put a color wash in an area.Then letting the paper dry completely before putting colors in it again..Well the task was daunting to me, being an impatient one, but I wanted to see if the colors are absorbed more in this way, as Susan suggests.
I found out that going the whole way was not possible for me as I lost patience after putting two washes on her face.Than I reverted back to my own style to create details in her face, wet in wet.I painted the hair in my style, in one go, combining wet and dry brush.
Results? The colors do get absorbed more of you prime the paper again and again.It wont be lifted easily.But really I can't wait for the paper to dry after every wash! I think its better to combine both methods and create a new one :)
This is my niece Manu, an old photo of her.I have painted it before; even made a pencil portrait of it.But she is so beautiful,I am never tired of painting her!
Watercolor 14"x10"

15 comments:

  1. It looks like combining the two methods and creating "one" was the better one..this is an outstanding portrait of Manu. She's beautiful and when I zoomed in...the skin tones were perfectly painted!! This is wonderful, Arti!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the painting, but enjoy your more spontaneous work more.
    I don’t have the patience to wait for paint to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have done a great work Arti. Ultimately output matters & this is looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hilda, I guess I can use this method on commissioned portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Tony I do like loose and spontaneous strokes.This was an experiment , as I said :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Amit.I am basically trying out everything before arriving on a 'personal style'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting post, Arti! Patience is something I lack completely. I suspect it is why it takes me so long to finish a piece. And why I can't same to grow in my art work. Sigh...

    Manu is beautiful and I see a resemblance in her and Arjun. I am not sure if it is eyes, nose, mouth, or simply shape of face (without seeing them side by side), but I see it nonetheless.

    I think your style is magnificent as is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not patience at all, I do not like to much, when a painting require a long time to be finished. I like spontaneity and looseness.
    Your portrait is simply beautiful Arti! Have a good week end. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful Arti. I can see why you want to paint her again and again. I do really like the bright colors here. And I tried her technique at one time too, but Egads! Did it take forever! I haven't the patience for it either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sherry,,,I guess every one here feels the same- thats why we are 'watercolorists'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Tito You have a great weekend,too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal its hard to believe that you are also the 'impatient one ' your work doesn't seem to be hurries at all!Thanks all the same, Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Arti, the portrait is lovely. I even liked the pencil drawing of your niece very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't got the patience for layers either - and waiting for paint to dry - I prefer spontaneaty and looseness although I do admire those watercolourists that do take time and are methodical, they must have the patience of a saint! This portrait is beautiful - I love you style just as it is

    ReplyDelete