Sunday, December 20, 2009

In Black & White

I started this sketch because I wanted to draw someone beautiful...but soon realized my mistake of not choosing the 'right' subject! ( She is Alicia Silverstone, but I did not work on the likeness factor very much, here-- so you may not recognise her!) The problem was that her face did not have any shades..no gradients to work upon - so it got a little boring and I decided to speed up things and get over with it!
I hate leaving something unfinished, so I did complete this sketch, but honestly, not much time was spent on this one. About 2 hours.I think I need to find better paper...this cartridge paper shows through so much that dark tones are spoiled. I can't achieve the desired smoothness...
Any suggestions?

11 comments:

  1. She doesn't look like her alright but she is beautiful! And you've complained about the paper but I kind of liked the grainy effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a beautiful job, Arti. No suggestions from me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arti, in my opinion this portrait is so beautiful that you should be proud of it!! I would be happy to do something like this!! Ciao, Tito.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good drawing, maybe too much like the photo though, not enough of you in it. I do like the almost too white softness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much, Ramesh, AL, and Tito...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it Anthony.. pencils are like that.Arn't they?Actually I derive pleasure in the thoroughness that pencil art demands...

    ReplyDelete
  7. She certainly is beautiful and beautifully sketched! Love the softness. I don't do a lot of sketching so sorry I can't be of help on the paper question. It looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Arti, but your comment about angles and lighting got me thinking as well! They would make a face more interesting to draw, wouldn't they! I agree with Anthony - stunning drawing, but not enough of you in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a great drawing for a short amount of time.

    I like BFK Rives paper for drawing. It's a print-making paper. It also dries flat if you want to add watercolor or acrylic. Also takes pastel and charcoal beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Gwen, Liz and Liz!Thanks for the info..I will see if I can find this paper.Nice to have you back here:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi arti

    nice space u have here.....the drawing is perfect....though it doesnt look like her! shes beautiful! where do u stay? for suggestions about paper?

    best regards

    veda

    ReplyDelete